Process optimization in manufacturing verticals refers to improving a set of parameters to maximize efficiency. It encompasses identifying methods that would optimize various facets of the production floor including machine utilization, discovering bottlenecks, resource allocation, removing unnecessary costs, eliminating redundancies, streamlining operations etc.
Irrespective of what the product is, all process manufacturers have many common business hurdles. From how to use assets and resources effectively to how to reduce costs, the challenges in manufacturing processes are aplenty. They also need to be flexible and should be able to spot potential issues early so they can adjust processes for optimal performance.
Adoption of IoT has many benefits, the optimization of operational processes being on the forefront of them. IIoT brings transparency, traceability, visibility, scalability, and flexibility to the manufacturing ecosystem optimizing its processes and products. Most processes have a handful of key parameters or machine settings that are critical to its successful operation. By collecting data to monitor these key components, and identifying actual usage patterns, manufacturers are able to improve their processes.
Role of IoT in process optimization
Smart factories with interconnected assets leverage the benefits of IoT to optimize production processes in real time, making automated adjustments to improve quality, enhance efficiency and reduce waste. Optimizing resources, whether it be people, energy, or raw materials, is critical to keeping costs low and improving overall productivity levels.
Some of the areas where IoT driven applications can help to improve processes include –
- Verify that the existing assets are being utilized to its maximum by examining operating data. IoT driven applications can point to how an equipment is operating, equipment bottlenecks and improvement efforts
- IoT sensors India required to drive equipment effectiveness.
- IoT systems result in energy efficient production processes and can reliably predict process deviations. The data on energy consumption from manufacturing processes can be collected easily. This information can provide an opportunity to enhance the energy efficiency in real-time production management.
- Create consistent and standard operating procedures irrespective of the changes happening around. It allows manufacturers to understand the daily changes in production inputs, staffing, environmental conditions, etc., and helping them maintain standards.
- In a typical processing plant, there are hundreds or even thousands of raw materials used. Connected devices can collect real-time consumption data from measuring instruments in equipment and can suggest an optimum usage pattern.
- IoT driven applications help in determining machines and processes that over-consume resources, identifying assets that are underperforming and providing prescriptive, corrective actions.
- Optimize the environment conditions and parameters that will help in the enhanced performance of equipment. This also ensures maximal use of asset lifecycles
The process of continuously monitoring and optimizing needs real-time visibility. IoT enabled applications gives process manufacturers the ability to collect data from connected equipment, sensors, and devices. Such comprehensive visibility allows for an automated, intelligent and streamlined manufacturing process. A sub-optimal process can hinder the prospects of your company. What process optimization brings to the table is a path to reduce money, time, effort and resources spent in a process, leading to higher productivity and efficiency.